1. Gods beyond temples / Harsha V. Dehejia.
2. The portable Shrinathji / Amit Ambalal.
3. The Odyssey of the Bankura horse / Sumanta Banjerjee.
4. Bejeweled Gods / Nicholas Barnard.
5. Living with the Gods / Monisha Bharadwaj.
6. Small Shaiva bronzes of Maharashtra / Narendra Bokhare.
7. The court of divine Justice: Kumaon's Golu Devata / Kusum Budhwar.
8. Itinerant singers: Baul, the dancing mendicants of Bengal / Indranath Chaudhury.
9. Thread, cloth and costume: textiles in the Hindu tradition / Rosemary Crill.
10. The Gods of the warlis / Yashodhara Dalmia.
11. Urban spaces as visual theophany / Harsha V. Dehejia.
12. Kurma: support of the cosmic axis / Devangana Desai.
13. Surya: light to enlightenment / Jasleen Dhamija.
14. Posts, pots and pebbles: aniconic village Goddesses of Orissa / Thomas Donaldson.
15. Landscape as shrine: entering the event Horizon of Tukaram / Ranjit Hoskote.
16. Funeral practices and Paradise symbolism: Islamic art and architecture / Mazhar Hussain.
17. Gods of the thresholds: the liminal arts of Hindu householders / Stephen Huyler.
18. Divinity and pots in South India / Stephen Inglis.
19. The sons of Vishvakarma / Jaya Jaitly.
20. The unknown Sufi / Anees Jung.
21. Svayambhu: the nature icons of Prakriti / Madhu Khanna.
22. Divinity in sound / Ravi Khanna.
23. The rasa lilas of Braj / Sunil Kothari.
24. Devotional objects of the Jains / Lalit Kumar.
25. Utsava Murtis: when Gods go visiting / Nanditha Krishna.
26. Reflections on Benaras / Richard Lannoy.
27. Mobile shrines in India / Cornelia Mallebrien.
28. The bronzes of bastar / Cornelia Mallebrien.
29. The tree of life / Paola Manfredi.
30. The deotas of Himachal / Kirit Mankodi.
31. Divinity in solitude / Ashvin Mehta.
32. Gods of the fabrics: sacred images in Kalamkaris / Jagdish Mittal.
33. Divinity of food / Pushpesh Pant.
34. Ten meditations on the Guru / Makarand Paranjape.
35. Paper Gods / Christopher Pinney.
36. The votive horse of Gujarat / Haku Shah.
37. The God who looks away: Phad painting of Rajasthan / Kavita Singh.
38. The aniconic cult of dharma in Bengal / Jawahar Sircar.
39. The Goddess as a pot / Tulsi Vatsal.
40. Painting the Goddess: folk paintings from the Mithila region / Archana Verma.
41. Sanjhi: a Goddess of Murals / Bimla Verma. About the contributors.