- Hindu dynasties.
- Muslim dynasties.
1. Shivaji and the rise of Marathas: conception of a Hindu empire.
2. Personal traits of Mahratta Brahman princes.
3. Life under the Mahrattas:
i) Constitutional, administrative and customary institutions.
ii) Caste regulations under Maratha rule.
4. The Maratha justice:
i) Early Hindu justice.
ii) Ayya Shastri.
5. The 'National' character of the 'historical' Marathas.
6. The Mahrattas and the Sikhs:
i) Maratha-Sikh rivalry in Haryana.
ii) Marathas and Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
7. Anglo-Mahratta wars:
i) Origin of the first Anglo-Maratha war.
ii) The second Anglo-Maratha war and mewar.
8. Sovereignty of the sea as practised in the Maratha period.
9. Maratha arms.
10. Sultans of South India.
11. Government and administrative system of Tipu Sultan.
12. The Virtuous Sultan:
i) Moral laws under Tipu Sultan.
ii) Tipu Sultan and his English prisoners of war.
iii) Tippu's endowments to the Hindus and the Hindu institutions.
13. The rise and fall of the Dutch in India.
14. Making of a Jat Kingdom.
15. Rebels turned rulers:
i) Sikh-Mughal struggle.
ii) Character of the Sikhs of the eighteenth century.
iii) When a Sikh general occupied the Delhi Throne.
16. Life and times of Ranjit Singh.
17. Military system of the Sikhs:
i) Army organisation, administration and tactics.
ii) Zafar Nama-a manual of military training.
iii) European military officers of Lahore Durbar.
18. Judicial system of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
19. Trans-Himalayan campaigns of General Zorawar Singh.
20. Anglo-Sikh wars.