I. The nature of the challenge:
2. The persistence of identity conflicts in South Asia: new dynamics and the search for new explanations / Ajay Darshan Behera.
3. Some socio-economic aspects of the Maoist insurgency in India / Sudeep Chakravarti.
4. The threat of nuclear terrorism in Asia / Reshmi Kazi.
II. The case studies groups based on ethnic motivations:
5. Armed conflict in Manipur: the case of UNLF / Amarjeet Singh.
6. Dima Halam Daogah: fire in the abandoned hills / Jaideep Saikia.
7. In Guerrilla zone: the national socialist council of Nagalim--Isak-Muivah / Namrata Goswami.
8. The United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA): liberating force or to be liberated? / Nani Gopal Mahanta.
9. National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB): continuing stalemate / Shubhrajeet Konwer.
10. Liberation tigers of Tamil Eelam: crouching violence, hidden peace / N. Manoharan. Groups based on left-wing motivations:
11. Profiling India's Maoists: an overview / P.V. Ramana.
12. Naxalism in Chhattisgarh / Medha Bisht.
13. Maoist insurgency in East Indian states: issues and mobilization / Nihar Nayak. Groups based on religious motivations:
14. Hizb-ul-Mujahideen: an indigenous armed group / Arpita Anant.
15. Harkat-ul-Mujahideen (movement of holy warriors) / Kanchan Lakshman.
16. Jaish-e-Mohammed / Priyanka Singh.
17. Lashkar-e-Toiba / D. Suba Chandran and Rekha Chakravarthi.
18. Harkat-ul Jihad-al Islami: organization, dynamics and the potential for subversion / Bibhu Prasad Routray.
19. Radical Islamic groups in Bangladesh: the case of Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh / Smruti S. Pattanaik.
20. The Taliban / Shanthie Mariet D'Souza.
III. Countering non-state violence in India:
21. The rise, fall and rise of insurgencies in India's north-east / Bibhu Prasad Routray.
22. Lessons from India's counterinsurgency experience in the north east / Vivek Chadha.
23. Rise of Naxalism and its implications for national security: a political, security and socio-economic campaign / E.N. Rammohan.
24. The rise and decline of armed non-state actors: the Kashmir experience / D. Suba Chandran.
25. Changing dynamics of terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir / S.K. Saini.
26. Non-state armed groups in South Asia: A preliminary structured focused comparison / Arpita Anant.