The 6th edition of National Formulary of India (NFI) was launched on October 25, 2021.
- NFI was published by the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) for promoting rational use of medicines in India.
- On the occasion, Minister appreciated the efforts of all the experts, doctors & researchers who made efforts towards the compilation of new edition.
- According to Minister, NFI 2021 would act as the guidance document for all the healthcare professionals like pharmacists, clinicians, dentists, nurses, etc.
- NFI will also play a significant role in daily clinical practices.
- It is published to promote rational use of medicines in India.
- The document will be beneficial for clinicians and healthcare professionals, while they are prescribing medicines to the patients.
Principle of NFI 2021:
- 6th edition of NFI 2021 was drafted by adopting the principle “do not miss critical and do not overload” the information by revising chapters, appendices, and drug monographs. Chapters like Analgesics, Antipyretics & Anti-inflammatory drugs, Antacids & Antiulcer, Antiepileptics, Antiallergics & Drugs Used in Anaphylaxis, Diuretics, Drugs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Drugs in Osteoporosis etc were revised by involving the subject-specific experts in India.
Salient features of NFI 2021:
- NFI 2021 comprise of 34 therapeutic categories chapters like 591 drug monographs and 23 appendices.
- It is aligned with National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) and National Health Programmes.
- Important weblinks related to NLEM, NHP, drugs banned in India, immunisation schedule, drugs banned in sports are provided for information to readers.