CONTENTS:- 1. Introduction-Urbanization; 2. Air Pollution; 3. Major Air Pollutants in Urban air; 4. Global Status of Major Air Pollutants; 5. Effect of Air Pollutants on Biotic and Abiotic Components of Ecosystem; 6. Plants Response to Air Pollution with Respect to Specific Biochemical Parameters; 7. Meteorology and Air Pollution; 8. Heavy Metals in Urban Environment; 9. Mitigatory Methods to Urban Air Pollution; 10. Study Plan for Air Pollution Monitoring and Impact Analysis; 11. Green Belt Development; 12. Sampling and Quantitative Estimation of Major Air Pollutants and Biochemical Parameters of Plants; 13. Standards to Control Air Pollution.
Rapid urbanization and industrialization has led to continuous deterioration of air quality which is a major environmental problems in many urban centers in both developed and developing countries. Air pollution is characterized by high concentration of suspended particulate matter, oxides of sulphur and nitrogen resulting primarily from increased use of vehicles. The book provides information on rational basis for air quality management and green belt development in urban areas.
* Chapters on various sources of air pollution and their effects on plant growth, topics like urbanization, air pollution and major air pollutants in urban air along with their global status.
* Effect of air pollutants on biotic and abiotic components of ecosystem, plants responses, meteorology and air pollution, heavy metals in urban environment, mitigatory methods to urban air pollution.
* Various study plans for air pollution monitoring and impact analysis, green belt development, sampling and quantitative estimation of major air pollutant and biochemical parameters of plants.
* Methods to reduce and control air pollution.
* Indian Standard methods for analysis of some ambient air pollutants.
All these features make the book a must read for all concerned who with to understand the relationship and behavioral patterns of plants to air pollution.