This is a completely revised and updated edition of The [Oxford] Illustrated Companion to South Indian Classical Music, which includes the latest available information on the subject. Acclaimed as the most authoritative reference work on South Indian classical music, the Companion:
- provides an overview of the historical and cultural contexts of the music, its instruments, composers, leading practitioners, and schools
- contains more than 120 line drawings and photographs of all the instruments discussed, as well as of major composers; includes a special colour plates section
- includes detailed biographical notes on musicians and composers
- contains Guide to Pronunciation and Transliteration, Select bibliography and Further Reading, Glossary-cum-Index
- includes Alphabetical Index of Ragas and Scales, Index of Names
An indispensable and enriching reference work for the connoisseur, practicing musician, interested amateur, impresario, teacher, and student, the Companion will be of interest to anybody keen to learn about Indian culture.