Growth of Urban Informal Sector: Problems and Prospects
Saidapur, Sharanappa (Dr.)
List Price : US$ 64.74 Our Price : US$ 51.79
You Save 20% + FREE DELIVERY WORLDWIDE
Book ID : 41681
ISBN-10 : 81-8387-584-X / 818387584X
ISBN-13 : 978-81-8387-584-4 / 9788183875844
of Publication :
of Publication :
Edition : (First Edition)
Language : English
xxi, 334p., Illus., Maps, 23 cm.
CONTENTS:- 1. Research Design 2. Conceptual Base of Urban Informal Sector 3. Review of Literature 4. Growth of Urban Informal Sector in India 5. Informal Sector in Karnataka 6. A Profile of North Karnataka Region 7. Socio-economic Factfile of Brick-manufacturers in North Karnataka Region 8. Employment of Labour in Brick-kiln Industry 9. Problems of Brick-kiln Industry 10. Summary of Findings and Suggestions
In India, the urban informal sector is providing employment to the large section of an unorganized labour force in urban centers. The informal sector is considered a means to the strategy for eradication of poverty and unemployment in the developing countries. World wide it is recognized that, small, tiny and unorganized or informal activities play an important role in shaping the urban economy. 93 per cent of the countries workforce is working in informal sector and only remaining 7 per cent of the workforce are working under the formal sector, accounting for total wealth creation of 52 per cent from informal sector and 48 per cent from formal sector. The study of informal sector is important because the crucial task of manufacture productive use of abundant, surplus labour and one of the utility oriented small-scale brick making economic activity in the region. The brick making industry in Karnataka, which is one of the significant industries in the unorganized sector, provides employment opportunities to a vast workforce of around two lakhs. This sector is the second largest sector next to construction, which absorbs large floating labour from different parts of rural and semi-urban areas in Karnataka. The study attempts to be precise to explore the growth structure of informal brick manufacturing activities in the urban areas of the Gulbarga and Dharwad districts of North Karnataka. The brick industry fulfills the ever growing demand of urbanization. Brick making is one of the most ancient industrial activities in the history of the human civilization. Brick remains one of the most important building materials and continues to be the mainstay of construction activities. The pioneering volume is the first comprehensive effort to study different economic and non- economic aspects of Brick Industry. This book is the outcome of an in-depth research study of the organizational and administrative set-up, capital involved, marketing and manufacturing techniques followed in the industry. This book provides a detailed financial analysis including cost-benefit analysis, production trend, cost analysis and apparent fact on demand and supply of bricks. A detailed study on the work force engaged in the brick industry is also incorporated in the book. The present threats before the industry have been discussed logically in the dimensions. The volume is illustrated not only with suggestions for feasible solutions of the problems of the industry but also for a sustainable development of the brick industry in the North Karnataka Region. The study of the policy recommendation for improves the economy of informal brick-kiln industry of urban area in the Karnataka State.