In the 28 years of its existence, the Essentials of Medical Pharmacology is appearing as the 7th edition. Commensurate with tremendous transformation of pharmacology and clinical medicine in this period, the book has undergone successive changes to reflect the current status of pharmacological knowledge and therapeutic practices. Selection of the subject content of this edition places due emphasis on the understanding gained in mechanism of action of drugs, as well as on evidence based medicine. It abundantly quotes current guidelines issued by WHO and other eminent professional bodies as well as by Indian National Health Programmes to authenticate therapeutic recommendations.
Over the past years, the book has been a trend-setter for pharmacology texts in India. It has changed the outlook of medical students/professionals towards pharmacology from a subject that is to be set aside after passing the examination, to one which remains a useful companion in the clinic. The ever expanding readership of the book, particularly in the Indian subcontinent, is a testimony to its relevance to the needs of health science students and doctors in this region. The current edition is designed to fulfill the needs even more completely.
- Thoroughly revised chapters to include recent developments in theory and practice, as well as new drugs released in India.
- 'Problem directed study', a novel exercise which introduces the reader to the process of therapeutic decision making.
- Enriched illustrations, flow charts, tables and boxed point-wise summaries of important aspects.
- Comprehensive and systematic coverage of drugs, highlighting their therapeutic status.
- Text arranged under hierarchical headings, reorganization of some chapters and revised classification of certain classes of drugs makes the presentation highly user friendly.