1. INTRODUCTION : Geophysical Setting; Cultural background; Literary Account.
2. BUDDHIS CONCEPT OF MONASTICISM : General Concept in Ancient India; Diffusion of Monastic Idea; Monastic Philosophy; Monastic Life.
3. INTRODUCTION OF BUDDHISM IN TIBET : The First Epoch; The Second Epoch.
4. EFFLORESCENCE OF BUDDHISM IN HIMACHAL PRADESH : Early Period; Medieval Renaissance; Modern Transformation.
5. MONASTIC CENTRES : Lahul Valley; Marichi Vajravarahi Temple; Avalokitaeshvara (Trilokinath) Temple; Guru Ghantal (Gandhola) Monastery; Shashur Monastery; Spiti Valley; Temples at Kibar; Pin (Gungri) Monastery; Tangyud (Hikim) Monastery; lalung Monastery; Tabo Choskhor; Ki Monastery; Dhankar Monastery; Satluj Valley (Kinnaur); Monastery and Temples at Nako; Lotsaba-bai-lha-khang at Poo; Buddhist Monastery and Temples at Kanum; Lotsaba Lha-khang at Ropa; Beas Valley; Terma Significance of Sahor (Mand-Rewalsar Area); Buddhist Monasteries at rewalsar; Modern Sectarian Monasteries; Gelukpa Establishments; Sakyapa Establishments; kargyupa Establishments; Nyingmapa Establishments; Chonangpa Establishments; Drigung-Kargyupa Establishments; Bonpa Establishments; Sakya Monastery at Puruwala; Bon Monastery at Dolanji.
6. MINOR VOTIVE STRUCTURES : The Chorten; The Mani-dung; The kankani.
7. FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS OF MONASTERIES : Educational Aspect; Social Aspect; Economic Aspect; Politico-Administrative Function.
8. ARCHITECTURAL DEVELOPMENTS OF MONASTERIES : Early period; Medieval Development; Modern Changes.
9. MONASTIC ART : Canons of Monastic Art; Symbolism in Monastic Art; Monastic Pantheology; Wall paintings; Thankas; Sculpture; Sacramental Artefacts; Musical Instruments.
A. Location of Monasteries in Lahul Valley.
B. Location of Monasteries in Spiti Valley.
C. Location of Monasteries in Satluj (Kinnaur & Shimla Districts) Valley.
D. Location of Monasteries and Temples in Beas Valley.
E. Location of Modern Monasteries in Kullu, Mandi, Kangra, Shimla and Sirmaur Districts.