1. The rise of Buddhism.
2. The progress of Buddhism up to the pre-Maurya period.
3. Buddhism in the Maurya empire.
4. Buddhism during the reign of the Sungas, the Kanvas, the Satavahanas and the successors of the Satavahanas.
5. Buddhism during the rule of the Indo-Greeks and the Indo-Scythians.
6. Buddhism under the Guptas and later Guptas.
7. Buddhism during the reign of the Maukharis, Harsavardhana and the Maitrakas.
8. Buddhism in northern India after Harsa.
9. Buddhism during the reign of Sasanka of Gauda.
10. Buddhism in southern India.
11. India in AD 630 as described by Hiuen-Tsang.
12. Gradual decline of Buddhism in different regions of India.
13. Causes of the decline of Buddhism in India.
14. Conclusion: no decline but gradual assimilation with Brahminical religion or is Buddhism really extinct from the motherland?