2. Stories and sources.
Part I. Meditation and Yoga:
3. The second urbanisation of South Asia.
4. Two worlds and their interactions.
5. Religion in the early states.
6. The origins of the Buddhist and Jain orders.
7. The Brahmanical alternative.
8. Interlude: asceticism and celibacy in Indic religions.
Part II. Tantra:
9. The classical synthesis.
10. Tantra and the wild goddesses.
11. Subtle bodies, longevity and internal alchemy.
12. Tantra and the state.
13. The later history of yoga and tantra.