1. Introduction: desire and devotion/Pratapaditya Pal.
2. Artistic production, religious practice/Hiram Woodward.
I. The catalogue:
I. Sculpture from the Indian subcontinent:
1. Nature, women, and auspiciousness.
2. Deities of the Shaiva Group.
3. Deities of the Vaishnava Group.
4. Jain and Buddhist Deities.
II. Indian Paintings:
1. Jain themes.
2. Shaiva themes.
3. Vaishnava themes.
4. Courtly pursuits, portraits, and earthly delights.
5. Musical themes.
1. Paintings and book covers.
3. Objects for ritual use.