PART I: PROLOGUE:
2. Theorizing and Reforming Coalitional Governance in India.
PART II: COALITION GOVERNMENTS AT UNION AND STATE LEVELS:
3. Unstable Parties and Unstable Alliances: Births, Splits, Mergers and Deaths of Parties, 1952-2000.
4. The National Fronts and United Front Coalition Governments: A Phase in Federalized Governance.
5. Coalition Politics in India: The NDA Experiment.
6. Coalitional Experiments: The Marriage of Inconvenience.
7. Party Systems and Coalition Politics in Indian States.
8. The 1999 Lok Sabha Elections and the Left Front in West Bengal.
9. Coalition Politics in Uttar Pradesh.
PART III: DEEPER STRUCTRES AND COALITION GOVERNMENTS:
10. Reviewing the Federal Constitution: States' Rights and National Coalitions.
11. Coalition Governments and Constitutional Reforms.
12. Consequences of Electoral Systems on Coalition Governments.
13. Pyramids of Coalitions: The Base Versus the Apex.
PART IV: COALITION GOVERNMENT AND PUBLIC POLICIES:
14. Coalition Politics and Economic Decision-making.
15. Coalition Governments and India's Foreign Policy.