With a history spanning more than two-and-a-half millennia, and a geographic scatter that now encompasses the entire planet, Buddhism is one of humankind's most interesting religions, and often perceived to be one of its most mysterious.
The A to Z of Buddhism provides a marvellous framework for an appreciative understanding of he religion including:
- The historical evolution of Buddhism;
- Religious institutions, doctrines, and missionary movements;
- Important Buddhist scriptures in the Indian, Chinese, and Tibetan traditions;
- The sacred and historic Buddhist sites;
- The festivals, rites, and rituals that configure Buddhist religious practice;
- The manifestation of Buddhism in biography, art, and mythology.
A chronology and a map help the reader gain both geographically and historically perspective. The book also includes a carefully designed pronunciation guide, to Sanskrit, Pali, Tebetan, Chinese and Japanese terms.