The Art of Getting Well is written to inspire and help people who are overcoming illness and want to improve their quality of life. Far more than just another list of recommended behaviors and attitudes, it explains how to change the very things in your life that contribute to illness and rob you of motivation in the face of chronic condition. David Spero has brought together the medical, psychological and spiritual aspects of getting well to create an empowering five step approach to self-care and recovery that inspires to seek wellness, rather than wait for it. These steps ask you to:
* Slow Down-Use your energy for the things (and people) that matter most to you.
* Make Changes-Build self-confidence through making progressive life changes and choices.
* Get Help-Learn to find, ask for and accept the support you need.
* Value your body-Treat your body with affection and respect.
* Take Responsibility-Educate, accept and assert yourself to get the best care and the best health you can.
The heart of this book is its passionate, powerful message of how you can overcome barries to self-care. Spero suggests ideas and techniques seldom found elsewhere, such as living with rhythm, the intelligence of the body and the role of creativity in recovery. Written in a conversational upbeat style with interviews and first person accounts of recovery, this is a unique guide to an important art we seldom think about-the art of embracing health, the art of really getting well.